How SEO Works
Writing copy for SEO means that your content focuses on providing your target audience with valuable information to answer their queries. In addition to this, it also means you optimise keywords and key phrases that help search engines understand your copy.
By writing optimised content for your users, search engines work by showing your article for relevant queries on the top results page on Google. Over time this can be a cheaper option and sometimes more effective than paid ads.
Research Your Topic
Writing engaging content plays a big part in how to improve SEO. To write good content, you need to do two of the following things:
- Know who your target audience is.
- If you already know who your audience is, you need to start making a plan on the likely questions they need to answer and generate solutions.
The hardest part is finding out what topics matter most to your audience. You can use a topic research tool such as SE Ranking, to help you get started.
Create a Catchy Title
Adding a little more creativity to your article or blog posts will make your copy more engaging to your audience making for a better user experience. Here are some tips for when it comes to writing your heading:
- Create a unique title, this will help your audience from getting lost on similar pages on your web page.
- If you are trying to traffic your audience to your website, use words such as what, why, where and how.
- Use numbers in your articles, for example, ‘The 5 best…’ or ‘Top 10…’
Researching your topic beforehand will also help you when creating your title.
Optimise Your Meta Description
The meta description is what your audience will see under your page title in the google search results. This is the perfect opportunity to encourage your audience to click on your link over your competitors if you write it by engaging with them.
To successfully optimise content in your meta description here are some simple tips;
- Include your relevant keywords
- Keep your description short but sweet, usually between one to two sentences will do the job
- Make sure every piece of content on your website has meta descriptions.
Your meta description is one of the best ways to grab the attention of potential new visitors to your site.
Add Visual Content
Not only is it important to optimise your SEO, images and graphics are other important factors for creating engaging content.
Different types of content will require different visuals to help get across the information in your content. You can use infographics and checklists to deliver valuable information to your audience faster and in a more eye-catching way.
Another benefit to using visuals is that they can rank in the images and video section on Google. Alt text and tags provide a text alternative to an image for search engines and your audience to access the page on your website.
Here are a few things to consider when adding image alt text:
- Make sure alt text is relevant to the topic you are discussing in your copy
- Describe the contents of the image in as much detail as possible
- Try to write a unique alt text that describes the image as opposed to repeating the page’s main target keywords.
For more information on alt text click here to see one of our previous articles.
Having a good SEO strategy is a good way to improve your site’s appearance on Google.
Still not sure how to improve SEO on your website or blog? Here at BeMySocial, we are a social media management agency that prides itself on delivering market campaigns for businesses. So if you don’t feel like creating new content from scratch or updating your existing content, why not give one of our expert SEO copywriters a try?
Call us on 01302 494 050 or fill out our online form to receive a quote.